Crikey, it's May....

 And we've not been here to update since March.

We have continued to learn every day and we thought we'd share some recent lessons... all mainly from the last week.

Todays lesson:

Don't wear ankle wellies when the mud is more than ankle deep. It may take all the power left in a rheumatic body to get them on, but the mud has no such disability. It climbs over the top and then whips them off in a quarter of the time it took to get them on.



The staff

Are almost all shite. They won't do the jobs you need them to do, they just do "undoings".  The chickens like to unload poo from the pooper scooper. They also "pretend" to help when I am mucking out. I sweep and they come behind me flicking shavings all over the nicely swept mats. Dotty likes to tip the contents of wheelbarrow out when you are not looking. She also likes to break into the chicken pen and wreak havoc. Snowman took to breaking into the chicken feed  and managed it for 3 days before the human had the presence of mind to move the chicken feed bin. By stark contrast the only staff member I didn't appoint actually has some use. This squirrel is a saint. He cleans up behind the chickens. Bonus!!






In general

Weather apps are big fat liars. When they say "there may be some precipitation in the next hour" they mean "you are going to get soaked to your underwear..... again".

A plus point 

Apparently a horse Snowman's size emits 7.5 tonnes of manure a year. Well, thats what Google says. I think there's an error there. I am pretty sure he emits 7.5 tonnes a day. We have been bagging it and allotment owners come to collect it meaning that all the veg in a 3 mile radius is likely to be Snowman powered by summer.




On reflection

I think I need to go back to the people who built the stables. When I wrote "can you build me some stables" I think I meant to write "please can you build me an ark". 

Overall and finally for today..

Maybe I should have read the "farming for beginners" manual a little more closely before we embarked on our journey to "go it alone". Maybe the stand pipes freezing on day 1 was an omen? That said,  despite the weather, its still so far so good because they both look great, they don't mind the mud and the rain and they make me happy. To be honest I think that is their real job and the wheelbarrow unloading and chicken feed theft is actually a device to teach me to think, be mindful and not sweat the small stuff. So thats what I do as well as telling tales on them in the blog.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tales of the unexpected.

The end of a long week